Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Refrigerator that Wanted to be a Rock Star

The morning started much like any other morning, but that changed quickly. When I opened the refrigerator to get milk for my coffee, I heard a sigh. I looked at my dog, Jujubee, who looked back with an expression that said, "Don't look at me, I didn't say it!". I looked around and saw nothing that could have made that sound, so I shrugged it off and continued making breakfast.
After breakfast, I opened the refrigerator again to get my lunch. When I closed it, I heard the sigh again. It was soft, but distinct.
"Now why do I keep hearing sighs when I'm near the fridge?", I wondered. "It came from me.", I heard in reply.
"From Who?", I asked.
"From me, Kenny, your refrigerator."
"My refrigerator has a name?"
"Of course I have a name. Why shouldn't I?"
"I don't know. I just never thought of a refrigerator having a name. I suppose the stove has one also?"
"Of course. Her name is Samantha".
"OK, so why the sighs?"
"Because being an ordinary household appliance is not what I want. I want to be a rock star."
"A rock star! What do you know about rock stars?"
"I do talk to the television. He has a lot of information about rock stars. His name is Harvey, by the way."
"Well, that's interesting, but how do you plan to become a rock star?"
"I don't know how, I just know that's what I want."
Well, let me think about it. Maybe I can help."
So I thought about it that day and, when I got home from work, I told Kenny, the fridge, what I had come up with. I told him that I had a friend who was an electronics genius and he could wire Kenny up to a computer so that he could control it. We could load music composition software onto the computer and then Kenny would be able to compose rock songs.
Kenny liked the plan, so we did it, and, after some practise, Kenny managed to compose some good songs. I managed to get another friend who managed singers to listen and he loved the songs. Of course, he wanted to meet the composer, but I explained that he was very shy plus he was an old guy and didn't want anyone to know an old guy was writing rock songs. My friend bought the story, so we worked together to make an album and gave Kenny the stage name Rick Star.
Well, the rest is history. Rick Star become a big star despite never making personal appearances and made me and my friend a lot of money until Rick retired after ten years. No one but me ever knew that Rick Star was really Kenny, the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment